Hobbit Houses Glamping Stirlingshire Scotland at Craighead Howf
We are excited to announce that our two new amazing traditional Hobbit Houses – The Burrow and Bagend! are now OPEN !
Built right in to the hillside and adorned with grassy roofs and round doors, a stay in a Hobbit Howf will transport you to a magical world of Lord of the Rings, amongst friendly ‘heelin coo’s’ and ‘wee goats’* in a shire all of your own.
Please see our blog for updates and more pictures, planned opening date is May 2018 and bookings are now being taken. http://www.craigheadhowf.co.uk/ian–hs-blog
*heelin coo’s – Highland Cows
wee goats – little goats
“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the end of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort” – J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit.
Hobbit Howf Facilities
- Traditionally built from stone and wood, with nooks and crannies.
- Delightful 200 m walk from the car park to the Hobbits with your own hobbit barrow to transport luggage
- Stunning views all around
- Off grid
- Hand made rustic double size bed
- Star gazing window above the bed
- Wood burning stove
- Double ring gas hob
- Crockery, cutlery, pots and pans
- Bespoke hand-carved wooden sinks.
- Slipper bath with hand held shower and adjacent hand-carved wooden wash hand basin
- Toilet- designer eco friendly compost toilet in its own wee hobbit howf next door, with hand carved wooden wash hand basin.
- Fire pit/ BBQ
- Recycling facilities in the car park area
- Access to fridge and freezer adjacent to car park, cool box and ice packs available
What to bring – Towels, torch, camera, food and drinks remembering that bottle of bubbly and of course time……. to just sit and enjoy this really unique Hobbit Howf set in your own slice of the shire!
In the evening sit outside overlooking the views of the Ochils and watch the beautiful horses roam. Test your cookery skills on the BBQ and enjoy your food al fresco. You will be treated to lots of birds – we regularly have Red Kites fly overhead -, wildlife, soay and ryeland sheep, ponies, our two donkeys, our pygmy goats, a variety of poultry including turkeys, rhea, guinea fowl, ducks, geese and the stars of the show our two highland cows Uigg and Beag!
There is plenty to do in the area in the day but if you don’t feel like leaving the ‘Hobbit Howf’ you can just enjoy the two acres of grounds and gardens at Craighead.
Kids – sorry but the Hobbit Howf is not suitable for children.
Dogs – Sorry but we can not accommodate dogs
In the shire at Craighead the The Burrow and Bagend will sit, amongst the fields with their own little gardens complete with picket fences and winding path.
The Burrow will be the first Hobbit House you come to, slightly up the hill from from Bagend. They both have wonderful views. Bagend is tucked away at the bottom of the shire. The Burrow is easily recognised by its Red Door, Bagend of course has a Green door.
For more info click here http://www.craigheadhowf.co.uk/hobbit-howfs.html